Tuesday 12 January 2016


The Ingleby Gallery, Edinburgh

I paid a visit to The Ingleby Gallery in Edinburgh on 8th January 2016. My particular interest was in seeing some paintings by Sean Scully but I discovered that this exhibition had a number of  paintings by many more of my favorite artists and included works by Giorgio Morandi, Agnes Martin, Rachel Whiteread and Richard Long. Also included were works by Cy Twombly, Edmund de Waal, Francesca Woodman, James Hugonin, Jane Bustin, Richard Forster, Richard Serra and Roger Ackling.

The exhibition was called  Resistance and Persistence and this title was taken from Sean Scully's essay on Giorgio Morandi. Scully was greatly influenced by seeing one of Morandi's paintings which he described as "Exciting in its resistance and subversiveness."

On the ground floor was one of Sean Scully's paintings, Untitled (Doric), which measures 71.1 x 81.3cm (See image below)


The second Sean Scully painting Barcelona Yellow-Yellow, which measures 213 x 182 was on the first floor. I stood next to this painting for my wife to take the photograph, (See images below).

This was my first experience of seeing some of Sean Scully's paintings "in the flesh" and I was certainly not disappointed.




On the floor in the bottom image is Richard Long's work titled Cairngorm, 2015 in slate measuring 5m x 2m overall.

I was thrilled also to see six of Morandi's  paintings and apparently two of these haven't been seen in public for over 50 years. (See images below)


On the ground floor also was a piece of work by Rachel Whiteread titled Garage. (See image below).

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for introducing me to some artists I do not know

    ReplyDelete